Tuesday 6 December 2016

[5words] 20161128

likely (a) If something is likely, it will probably happen or is expected.
Please do remind me because I'm likely to forget.
What's the likely outcome of this whole business.
I suppose that might happen but it's not very likely.
She made a rough estimate of the likely cost.
rather
I think I'd like to stay at home this evening rather than go out.
retain
The sea retains the sun's warmth longer than the sand.
athlete (n) /ˈæθ.liːt/
He became a professional athlete at the age of 16.
He is currently considered to be the best British athlete.
athletic (a) /æθˈlet.ɪk/ strong, healthy, and good at sports
She looks very athletic.
The university is very proud of its athletics facilities.
athletics (n) /æθˈlet.ɪks/
We love to watch the Olympics - especially the athletics.
She is a fine runner and a well-known figure in Scottish amateur athletics.

No comments :